The Economics of Coffee
Here are a few fun facts about the economics of coffee for your Friday! Use them to impress your friends and coworkers around the coffee machine:
- Every day, over 2 billion cups of coffee are consumed worldwide.
- In terms of the amount of coffee per person, the Nordic countries (Finland, Norway, Iceland, etc.) consume the most coffee. Other European nations consume quite a bit of coffee too, followed by the United States.
- People in Finland consume about 25 pounds of coffee per person per year!
- Coffee generates trillions of dollars every year that are distributed amongst farmers, merchants, importers and exporters, and the retail business. And although most coffee is grown in less developed countries, it's the more developed countries that drink most coffee.
- Brazil produces nearly 1/3 of the world's coffee (including our Brazil Santos and Brazil Moreninha Formosa!).
- More than 150 million Americans (about half the population) drink coffee on a regular basis. Well over half of people in the US 18 and over drink coffee!
- There are around 1,200 roasters in the United States (and we're proud to be one of them!)