The holidays are all about sharing and Thanksgiving is the best way to kick off the season. Giving thanks for everything we’ve received throughout the year - health, happiness, good fortune, friends and family, and so much more - tends to put things into perspective. Often we get so bogged down in our day-to-day lives that we forget about what we have right in front of us and what we’ve worked hard to achieve. Remembering to be grateful is extremely important for our mental health. And having a day to remind us to do so is wonderful.
Thanksgiving began in 1621 in Plymouth, Massachusetts. It was celebrated by the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag tribe of Native Americans. Everyone got together to give thanks for the harvest. It was called “Thanksgiving” for the first time in 1623. George Washington proclaimed the first national Thanksgiving in 1789 and it became a national holiday by Abraham Lincoln in 1863 which was when it was set for the last Thursday in November. Finally, in 1941, Franklin Delano Roosevelt declared Thanksgiving a federal holiday and moved it to the fourth Thursday of November.
Things To Be Thankful For
Sometimes it’s extremely difficult to come up with things for which to give thanks. If you’re having a hard time here are just a few to get you started. They might not all pertain to you, but they might serve as a reminder for something else.
- Family - parents, kids, siblings, grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, step-parents, step-siblings, spouse, in-laws… whether still with us or just fond memories, family can bring comfort and are something you could be thankful for.
- Friends - near or far, friends are the family we choose. Be thankful for the people who have come into your life and have stuck around.
- Health - some people live by the saying, “every day above ground is a good day.” If your health is good, be thankful.
- Good fortune - showing gratitude for what you have is important. You’ve worked hard to get where you are and what you have.
- Lessons learned - sometimes things don’t go as we had planned or hoped. Taking the opportunity to learn from a mistake, or just from not getting what we wanted, helps us to grow.
- The simple things - it may not be top of mind, but being able to feel the sunlight on your skin, to hear the birds singing, to see the stars in the night sky, and, yes, to stop and smell the flowers, are all things to be grateful for.
Show Your Appreciation
Showing your appreciation for someone is a tangible way to show thanks. A card, a phone call, or even a gift of some kind are all simple ways to reach out to those people we care about and show them how thankful we are they’re in our lives. If you wish to share something with someone for whom you are thankful, consider spending a little time with them, say, over a cup of coffee.
Being there in person is always preferred, but if there are too many miles between you, making a phone date to enjoy a cup of coffee and a chat is perfectly acceptable. Send one of our Thanksgiving coffees or send our Thanksgiving Sampler. All of our Thanksgiving coffees come in our Thanksgiving-themed packaging. Choose from delightfully tempting flavors like:
- Pilgrim Spice - cinnamon, nutmeg, and just a touch of pumpkin mingle together for a delicious alternative to Pumpkin Spice.
- Cranberry Cream - tart cranberries and smooth cream are a deliciously unique flavor combination.
- Pumpkin Pie - creamy pumpkin, sweet brown sugar, spicy cinnamon, and a dash of nutmeg in a pastry crust.
- Cinnamon Sweet Potato Swirl - sweet potatoes mixed with brown sugar, melted butter, and a dash of cinnamon.
- Pecan Pie - toasted pecans and sugar in a flaky crust.
- New World Blend - medium roasted, this signature blend has subtle notes of chocolate and caramel with a smooth finish.
If you want more than just one coffee, our Thanksgiving Sampler comes with 1/2 pound bags of each of these mouthwatering brews. Heading out for Thanksgiving? Our coffees make ideal hostess gifts. If you’re hosting Thanksgiving this year, be sure to have all your bases covered with our Something for Everyone Gift Set. We’ve made sure there really is something for everyone in this set with our Sumatra Black Satin, Guatemala Antigua, Masala Chai, Darjeeling Tea, Ghirardelli Hot Cocoa, and 3 samples of Monin Gourmet Syrups presented in a gift box.
We hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving with family and friends and remember the reason for the day.